This is popular African dish. Jollof rice is traditionally served with Dodo (sliced fried plantain), hard boiled egg and meat (chicken, beef, prawns) that can be cooked together with rice.
This recipe is for rice only.
- Heat the oil over medium flame, add the onions and peppers and sauté until the onions are wilted and translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir the rice into the onions and heat through for another 1-2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste to coat the rice and give it a reddish hue. Add the chopped tomatoes and let them cook down for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the water/stock into the rice pot. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let rest another 10 minutes.
- Optional spices that can be used to flavor the dish are cinnamon, curry powder or cayenne. Some minced chile peppers can be sautéed with the onions to add extra bite.
- downside to cooking a rice this way is that you will always end up with some rice burned at the bottom of your cooking pot.