Apparently there is an old Hungarian saying about this traditional dish. On the first day, serve goulash to beggars, on the second day serve it to friends and on the third day you and your family can eat it! I’ll leave it up to you to decide when you choose to eat your bowl of goulash!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/Gas 2. Place the tomatoes and onions in a pan and cook until the onions are soft.
2. Add the mushrooms and peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Cut the steak into 2" strips and place in a casserole dish. Add the paprika, caraway seeds, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme and tomato mixture and season well. Cover and cook for 1½ - 1¾ hours.
4. Beat the fromage frais until smooth then pour over the casserole just before serving.
5. Serve with steamed winter vegetables or new potatoes (chosen as a Healthy Extra on Original) for a filling winter warmer.