- Cut out the tubes from the hearts with scissors or a sharp knife. Cut into slices and then into 1/2 in. (1.25cm) pieces. Coat in seasoned flour.
- Melt the dripping in a saucepan and fry the hearts until brown on all sides.
- Add the remaining flour and vegetables and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the water and crumbled bouillon cube and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the hearts are nearly tender.
- Taste and check seasoning.
Meanwhile prepare the dumplings:
- Mix the flour, salt, suet and parsley in a bowl, then add sufficient water to make a soft dough.
- Form into 8 balls. Place on top of the casserole, recover with the lid and continue cooking very gently for about 30 minutes or until well risen.
- Turn into a warm serving dish and serve immediately.