Polish Pickle Soup or Zupa Ogórkowa (ZOO-pah o-gor-KAW-vah)
- Melt butter in a large pot. Saute onion until translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add stock, pickles, pickle liquid and potatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes
- Blend the flour with sour cream. Temper sour cream mixture with a little hot soup. Pour tempered sour cream into hot soup, whisking constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduced heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning, adding sugar if desired.
- At this point the soup can be left chunky or pureed to the velvety consistence of vichyssoise.
- Served in heated bowls garnished with chopped fresh dill, if desired.
I like my pickles crunchy. In my version of this soup I add them when the potatoes are almost tender and not at the beginning. I don't blend the soup as I like it chunky.